Thursday 7 May 2015

Activity 1: Research

Range of Examples of Designs...

Here are a few designs I like the style of with an assessment of what method has been taken to make it.


Research from past projects that could be influential for this project...

This mixed media collages from my 'digital imaging' unit is really inspiring me for this unit. I particularly like this photo of men with patterned jackets which has been made in Photoshop by highlighting their jackets and applying a pattern to the area. I may try something like this for my match box as it mixes the old fashioned (using matches) with a fun twist that gives it new life.

Here is a typography mood board from my 'Expressive Type' unit as I am quite keen to have a typography design for either my stamps or match box so this mood board is helpful to see how my type could be displayed.


Stamp Design Mood Board...


L.A. Stamp Examples...

As most stamps have elements that have to be included depending on the location. As I would like to have stamps based on Oscar winning movies it would be for the city of Los Angeles so I looked into existing L.A. stamps to see what elements have to be included.

More stamp designs I like the look of...

I have included these because they show characters or typography within the small space of the stamp.

Design Style Mood Board...

I really like the use of bold colours in all of these pieces of design as it is a way to quickly attract your eye.

I have this book called 'Wreck This Journal' and one of the pages asks you to paste in all of the stamps you find along the way. Here is my page with some stamps (some real some are just fake but they are all really nicely designed) I love the detailed but simple illustrations on each stamp and the bold colours used. It is clear that they maximise the space of the stamp to ensure the graphic can be understood.

My Dad collected match BOOKS growing up and last year I framed them for him - I know they aren't match boxes but they use bold colours, typography and illustrations on a small scale quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment